Coity Castle is a lovely old Norman castle in the village of Coity, near Bridgend, in South Wales. It has its origins in the 11th Century, but its main curtain wall was constructed in the 12th.
As an Anglo-Norman castle, its purpose was to subdue the local Welsh populace. It formed part of an important triangle of defense, together with the nearby New Castle (Bridgend) and Ogmore Castle.
In the early 1400s, it was attached by the legendary Welsh leader and rebel, Owain Glyndŵr. The siege was resisted until 1405, when forces loyal to the English King Henry IV arrived to relieve it. The failure to take Coity, together with the failure of his attempted alliance with France, probably spelled the end of Owain Glyndŵr’s rebellion, though he had in reality lost his chance after he, and his Northern English allies, were defeated at the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1403.
Today, Coity Castle is a peaceful setting close to major conurbations.